Tuesday, October 16, 2007

ANOTHER YEAR OLDER

Well as the title points out I had another birthday. And by the way I have not gotten your present yet, but I'm a patient man. It's one of the many facets of my character that I've been working on lately. It seems, much to my chagrin, that you can't get everything you want right when you want it. This has become evident to me as my 1st year as an "Ironman" is coming to a close. After all the hard work I've put in it turns out that I still suck. Not as bad as I used to suck but suck nonetheless. As I have been reading some other blogs I see some of things that I think I have always known. 1st and foremost no matter how hard you think have it someone else has it worse. This has multiple meanings too. No matter how are you are working, your competition is working harder. No matter the size of your obstacle, someone elses is greater. And no matter what your gifts, or lack thereof someone has it better or worse. But bottom line it's never easy and not all paths are the same even if the destination seems to be. So what does all this mean, probably not much to alot of people. For me it means I need to quit my whining and bitching and work harder. This requires patience this is a slow process. I spent most of my younger life as a power/speed type of athlete ie: wrestling,skiing, football etc. I did not even begin this endurance stuff until I was 35. And didn't really start getting serious about it until 2 years ago. And by serious I mean ran 1 marathon and then decided an Ironman would be a good idea. Bla bla I know it is was it is and I am were I am. So from here I enter the next phase, a concerted effort to improve as an endurance athlete. Beginning with consistent training. And by consistent I mean I am going to step up to a challenge posed by an athlete who's stuff I read, Dr.J. His challenge is 30 runs in 30 days. Each run 30-45 min depending on your beginning fitness and goals. For me it's 45 min/run. Gordo then upped the ante by suggesting swimming twice a week as well lifting once a week. Which with respect to time and job and all the other things that are life he states "just do it". I love that. bottom line there is no easy way, just like he always says. I will keep you posted on my progress.

No comments: