Wednesday, March 04, 2009

13.1 miles fast hmmm

Well with just a few days left until the race. Yesterday I threw in a little speed work on the treadmill. After a mile to warm up @ 8:30 pace I sped up to 7:30 pace and held that for 2 miles. Then I sped up again to 7 min pace for 0.5 miles then 0.5 miles at 6:30 pace. At this point I can say with some certainty that breaking 1:30 for this 1/2 marathon aint happening. Last year I ran 1:37 at this race. This year I'll be happy with 1:45. Well maybe not happy but Since my real goal is the marathon in May I don't want to risk an injury and I think I will be better served by running again maybe 7-8 miles the day after the race. This I won't be able to do if I go balls out. The Hobbit is running pretty good right now so it will suck to get beat AGAIN by the little furry bastard but oh well, eye on the prize.

3 comments:

Spokane Al said...

I am just hoping that the winds are not too brutal.

Have a great race!

Lucho said...

Awesome that the Garmin crapped out. Run the race the same.. just on feel. I'm completely addicted now to not using gadgets and simply tuning in to myself. I-pod included. I have found I run so much better. The best runs are on routes that I know the distances of, then not wearing anything. Clothes maybe.

Triteacher said...

Sounds like you've got brains on your side with that strategy. Oh, and a touch of speed. (I'm doing 10 minute miles right now; I'd love, love, love anything sub-8!)