Thursday, October 16, 2008

Not Done Whinning

Well the good folks at the Portland Marathon were kind enough to give me a time and a place in their race. However the time they gave me does not make much sense to me. As I stated in my earlier post at various point along the course my time,according to my Garmin, did not correspond to times that were being called out by race officials. This, I thought, was due to the fact that the time they were calling out was from the start of the wheelchairs that started 1-1.5 min. before the runners. But when I got to the finish line and my Garmin showed a time of 3:35:01 the clock at the finish showed 3:37:41 which is the time they gave me. If this was the difference between going to Boston or not I would be real pissed and demanding an explanation. But since I choked and this discrepancy did not affect the outcome. I will move on with my life and try to figure out how to fix the problem that cost me.
As Lucho pointed out this is really all I can do at this point.
As I mentioned several times before this race my training had seemed to have stalled. I was getting pretty burnt out and just wanted this race to be over. After basically taking 2 weeks off, the one before the race and the one after. I have a new found fire. I also have a new plan. The reason I expected to better in this race than I did is because my IM marathon was ~4:30. So I figured that if you take away the swim and bike, I should be able run quite a bit faster. But the problem is I also cut out my swim training and cut my bike riding way down and quit riding it altogether in the middle of Aug. This wouldn't have been a problem if I would have added all that training time to running, but I didn't. My IM training had me running about 25-30 miles a week. Prior to Portland I was running ~30-40 miles a week. So I lost about 6 hours a week in aerobic training. I know, what a dumb ass. I won't make that mistake again. As a matter of fact I going to use this little bit of knowledge and I'm going to train like I'm going to do an IM but I'm not. Unlike Lucho I can't take the pounding of 100 miles a week but if I use the time to ride and swim my fitness will be better. So I'm going to sign up for a new race that is starting next spring here in Spokane it too is a Boston qualifier so we shall see. This course is also very familiar to me as I run portions of it all the time. And If you want a flat course this one is actually down hill very slightly the whole way. It's not until May so this gives me plenty of time. I'll also run a few halves over the winter and spring as well. I also hope to go to one of Chuckie V's camps in the spring too. So all in all I'm looking forward to a winter of good training and also some skiing as well. Hope for snow in the mountains. Next week though it's off to Cabo. Jayne and I are headed back to Mexico with our friends and this year we will be joined by my best friend from high school and his girlfriend. Should be a great trip with a lot of diving and surfing and some fishing. Might even manage a hangover or 2 as well.

1 comment:

Spokane Al said...

Wow - I am very envious of you going to camp with the great Chuckie V. That should be terrific.